Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tutorial - How to make a DIY paintchip wreath


Hi! Today I'm going to show you how to make a paint chip wreath.





First off you're going to need the stuff to make it (duhh), so this is what you need:



Paint chips (I love Martha Stewart's colors, but her paint chips are too thick for this project, I reccomend Behr's paint chips. :)



Cardboard or flat wreath form

hole puncher (I used this one I bought at Joann's for 7$ 40% off)

Glue gun

Xacto knife.




Trace two items on your cardboard and cut it out:




Punch all of your paint chips into holes:


I like Behr's paint chips the most for a few reasons, especially because it looks like your taking less paint chips than you are because they are so long. You can also get 9 holes out of them, and the others (glidden, and Martha) You can get max. 6.




Now fold each of your paint chip into quarters:









^ I can't really explain this step, so just follow the picture :)





(front of the "flowers")




(bottom side)




Just add a blob of glue on the bottom of the paintchip, then place it like so.


Keep glueing! I did 3 layers because that's what fit my wreath form.


Once you have finished glueing all of the paint chips on the wreath, get out some ribbon or cloth. I used an old pillowcase. Cut a strip out so it fits like this:


Glue the two ends together. Make a bow out of the same fabric. Glue it over the ends. Make a little loop of cloth and glue it on the back:



Hang it up and admire!



TIP: if your bow doesn't stay up where you want it, use clear tape to hold it up.


I have a bunch more projects coming using these "flowers", so come back later and look for more! Thanks for reading! Let me know in the comments section if you liked this tutorial! :D

18 comments:

Kelli said...

This is really cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Kelli

Mandy Coffey said...

Alyssa this is so cool! I'd love for you to link it up at my party tomorrow www.smallfineprint.com (and any other tutorials you have!) My party is every Friday- hope to see you there!

Lorie said...

Alyssa, I love this! I am featuring it on my blog tomorrow!!

Unknown said...

Hey Alyssa, way to go girl! You are only 13 yrs old and you already have your own blog! You are a rock star! Love the wreath. I am featuring this today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button. (You will reach your "followers" goal in no time at all.)

Anngela said...

Hi Alyssa! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
Now following you as you have many cute ideas! I love this wreath--saw it on Someday Crafts--and thought it was too funny that it was from you and you JUST left me a comment :)
Happy blogging and can't wait to see more projects!
<3 Anngela

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

Hi Alyssa - You are so creative!! I can't believe you are only 13. I bet you'll reach your goal inno time and I am following you now to help you get there!!
good luck!

Pam Emerson said...

This idea is fantastic. The fact that you are young is amazing as well. Keep it up! :)Thanks for teaching the "older" gals something ;)

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

This is adorable! I love that you're only 13! I'm not that much older than you. I can tell you're going to have some good stuff to share so I'm a new follower!

:)

Michelle said...

cute, cute! i'll have to make me one of these!

Anonymous said...

Great wreath. Thanks for sharing the instructions. I can't wait to see what you have next to share.

Shareena said...

This is cute! loving it!

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

GEEZ! Are you seriously 13 little sis? or is that just a jokie? You are so inventive, and creative. I really dont think I could do any of this. I dont think I could find the time to do it either:( but someday when I'm not so busy I will!!!

Libby said...

Adorable!

Megan said...

Hey Alyssa! Thanks for stopping by and checking by my blog! :) Your blog is so cute!

This wreath it such a fabulous idea... I might have to try it out!!!! All the colors you could do with it.... :) love it!

-Megan

makinglemonadebymegan.blogspot.com

AsylumTanya said...

I especially like how you bent the paint chips into flower shapes. That really makes your wreath stand out from the rest!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

too darn cute! great job.
gail

Stylifiq said...

this is cool, i should try this.. love your DIYs
http://stylifiq.blogspot.com

CK said...

Ha! Cleverrrrrr!